I bought the ReLoad Pro last year but had not used it until yesterday. I find that pretty much regardless of what current I set, the unit provides a near short across the red & black jacks. For instance, asking for 20 mA and connecting a "C" cell battery across the leads, the unit reads around 500 mA (which I verified with an ammeter.)
I have tried setting the values from the front panel, via a serial port, and also via the ReloadController program I downloaded from here, with the same results. The unit reports that it's v1.3 on the splash screen.
I tried the calibration function, but it's not at all like the one described in the docs. I'm told to remove the test leads and then it returns to normal mode without any further steps.
Can you please try updating to the latest firmware, and see if the problem persists?
I'd be glad to. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to ask a dumb question - how?
I use a Win 7 PC. The instructions I came across were for a Unix system.
Firmware updates are documented here: http://www.arachnidlabs.com/reload-pro/firmware.html
They work on both Linux and Windows, but you will need Python installed.
Alternately, you can install PSoC Creator and use the included bootloader tool in Windows.
Sorry, I saw Python and ASSUMED it had to run on Linux.
I used the PSoC Creator bootloader tool to update the firmware to V1.11.
When I ran the calibration routine, I had to get out another (larger) bench supply - it didn't get out of current limiting (at 10.0V) until I ran the current limit up above 4A. Then I went through the rest of the calibration, with the load drawing 4A off and on during the "please wait" interval.
At this point, the load seemed to work reasonably well with the current drawn matching reasonably close to the set value. Then I unplugged it from the USB and plugged it back in. Now the displayed voltage and current values were still close, but the actual current drawn (and displayed) was only about half of the setpoint value.
I ran through the calibration routine again, and this time, the current drawn was about 2A as per the manual. And once that was complete, I was able to cycle power to the ReLoad and it still matches the setpoint with the actual drawn current.
So it took a firmware upgrade PLUS two cycles through the calibration procedure (the first time drawing 4A!!!), but it seems to be working properly now. And pretty impressive that it handled the 4A at 10V without any apparent problems - the heatsinks got a little warm, but not so warm as to be uncomfortable to touch.
Now I'll mount the fan kit that arrived yesterday and I'll be all set.
Thanks for the help!